Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Baby Food I Wish I Hadn't Bought

I love food and trying new things, so of course, I was so excited about Kyle starting solids and introducing him to as much a variety as I could. But at the same time, I want to make sure that it is healthy for him, which is why it was great for me to be able to make fresh baby food for him at home. But sometimes it is also nice to have jars handy, if we were running out somewhere, or if I just didn't have anything fresh in the house (or any purees in the freezer)

There is a great variety out there to pick from, but unfortunately, I didn't learn early enough to read the label before buying. Basically, I believe the jar should just contain the labeled fruit or veggie, with no additives, except for water or ascorbic acid. Therefore, these ones that I bought I had a hard time giving to Kyle:

Guava dessert (Guava, water, sugar, corn starch, citric acid, ascorbic acid)
Hawaiian Delight dessert (Water, nonfat milk, pineapple juice from concentrate, sugar, rice flour, corn starch, citric acid, lemon juice from concentrate and ascorbic acid)
Vanilla Custard pudding (Water, sugar, egg yolks, nonfat milk, corn starch, whey protein concentrate, wheat starch, whey and vanilla)

OK, so I guess I should have been thinking that being dessert, they would have sugar added. But on top of this, the consistency was disgusting, it's just a goo that of course Kyle didn't mind, but I probably would have gagged on. I'll stick to fresh fruits for dessert for him for a while...

On top of that, I don't know why I ever bought jarred bananas and applesauce. Bananas are the easiest baby food to make yourself! And for applesauce - I just buy a big adult sized jar, knowing that Kyle will go through it quickly enough. Just make sure that there is no added sugar!

No comments: